Friday, July 6, 2012

Album Summary: John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band

At eleven songs, John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band was quite a short album, but was certainly not short of talent, skill, and emotion. We can see the effects of primal therapy on John's lyrics, which talk about his parents, his thoughts and feelings on various emotional topics, etc. We also see the effects Yoko Ono had on his music, whether it's a love song or he's mentioned her in some way; her influence also goes much deeper than simple lyrical references.

Overall I quite enjoyed the album. I don't think there was a song I straight up disliked--while "Remember" and "God" were awkward in some ways (for me, at least), I still enjoyed them a great deal for other reasons. If the lyrics were strangely or awkwardly delivered, the music was phenomenal; if the music wasn't my favorite, the lyrics more than made up for it. Songs like "Look at Me", and the lyrics of "God", were my favorites and really got into my head. I think that Lennon really delivered with this album, proving he could fly solo with ease and showcasing his prodigious talent.

Tomorrow we'll start the next album, Imagine. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment