Monday, July 2, 2012

Well Well Well

Today I listened to "Well Well Well", which opens with a pretty sick guitar riff, a lot heavier compared to what I've heard so far on this album. The lyrics are interesting, and there's a lot more screaming in the middle than I expected. I like this one a lot.

The neat thing about this song is that it works equally well as a tongue-in-cheek love song ("She looked so beautiful I could eat her"), a call for revolution ("We talked of women's liberation / and how the hell we could get things done"), an enigmatic puzzle ("We both were nervous, feeling guilty / and neither one of us knew just why"), or just a blues-infused rock song. Put all together, it adds up to more than the sum of its parts. Thus far I'd have to say it's my favorite from John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, but the album isn't over yet!

I'm going to count this as one I've heard before--it was in The Departed (2006), so I know for a fact I've heard it, although I don't remember precisely which part of the movie it was in. One of my favorite bands, Cold War Kids, also did a cover which is pretty cool and very faithful to the original.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 1
Songs Completed: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment