Friday, April 29, 2011

Chains

"Chains", a cover The Beatles did of a song originally by Carole King and Gerry Goffin, was the first of two songs on Please Please Me to feature the lead vocals of George Harrison. So we have the debut of George, who seems like no one's favorite Beatle (even my 15-year-old sister likes Ringo the best). I suppose whichever Beatle you like most says a lot about your character; one could probably make a chart featuring four basic personality types and match them with each Beatle (someone no doubt already has). I take it back, though--I know there are plenty of George fans out there. They're simply a bit more quiet, unlike the others. :P

Today's song made me chuckle a little. He says to another woman that he just can't bring himself to cheat on his lover, because she's got (figurative) chains on him. I can't tell which of the possibilities are more likely: one, that he's truly sorry that he can't forgo his own moral code and have an affair, or two, that he's trying to let the other woman down easily, complimenting her charm and attractiveness while stating firmly that he just can't--he's too in love with his own ladyperson. 

Since George sang the lead in this song, if I had to make a judgment, I'd go with the latter. At this point I don't know much about him but he didn't seem like he was the cheating type. (Maybe if someone reads this and knows more about it than I do, they can elaborate in the comments. :) ) It's still a pretty remarkable idea to stick in a song, considering people have been cheating on their significant others since time immemorial (and actually, George's wife Pattie Boyd cheated on him with--and later married--Eric Clapton, one of my favorite artists. Luckily the two of men remained friends and called themselves "husbands-in-law", which says a lot about George as a person).

That's about it for this one... I'll see you guys tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment