Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I Saw Her Standing There

"I Saw Her Standing There", according to my friendly neighborhood Wikipedia (which will definitely be my go-to guide for Beatles info), was released in 1963 as the B-side of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" on their debut album, entitled Please Please Me (originally almost called Off the Beatle Track). It never reached higher than #14 on the Billboard charts, but in 2004 Rolling Stone included it in its list of "500 Greatest Songs of All Time". Not bad, for a B-side.

My impression of the song: It's bouncy, it's catchy, it's about young-love-at-first-sight, what's not to like? It definitely fits in with the early 1960's Beatles style, which was more Beach Boys than Pink Floyd. I laughed at the opening lines, which include the now-infamous phrase "you know what I mean". They certainly came from a more innocent time (though they didn't remain there). :P I enjoyed the idea of their automatic fidelity after only catching a glimpse of each other across a crowded party--it recalls Romeo and Juliet, minus the tragedy, and it's cute and sweet.

Overall I like this song--not my favorite (plus there are a couple hundred more songs to go... it's too early in the game to be choosing favorites!), but in general a pretty sweet song and one that would be totally appropriate at a wedding. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment