Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Misery

Today's song is "Misery". I gave it a listen (or two--it's a short song) and I have to say, for a song about someone who's supposed to be miserable, it's terrifically upbeat. The Wikipedia article for "Misery" says it was the first Beatles song to be covered by another artist (Kenny Lynch, 1963) and that it was actually written for British artist Helen Shapiro (who never sang it).

A quote from Wikipedia: "According to Lennon, 'It was kind of a John song more than a Paul song, but it was written together.' McCartney was to say: 'I don't think either one of us dominated on that one, it was just a hacking job.'" Paul seemed less than pleased about the result of their efforts, and I have to agree. Not my most favorite song ever, but still not unpleasant to listen to. Another song about young love, this time lamenting a broken heart.

One really interesting thing I picked up on by reading just the Wikipedia article for the song was that the whole Lennon/McCartney thing seems to have been "a thing" since day one. I obviously know about their relationship-slash-competition bromance but I guess I'd always imagined the early Beatles to be bouncing, besuited Brits cheerfully singing their songs and working together harmoniously all the time. They may have had way less tension and disagreement early on than they did later, but creating music with another person can be a very stressful goal to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment