Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Off the Beatle Track

"Someone once asked me, 'Beatles or Stones?' and I answered, 'Stones' because I didn't know anything about life."

That was my status on April 6th, 2011. Today is April 26th, and I've come across an idea that I can't get out of my head. The more I hear of The Beatles and their music, the more I want to make them my musical foundation.
I've decided to start this blog, partly due to my recently acquired hobby of learning how to play a guitar, partly because I watched "Julie & Julia" not long ago, and partly because lately I've been wishing I could do more with my time other than just work and browse the far reaches of the Internet for something interesting to read. It's an Adventure, one I'm hoping will be as worthwhile for you to read as it'll be for me to create.

Every day, I will listen to one song by The Beatles. Each song will be the topic of that day's blog post, and I'll talk about my impression of the music (85% of which will be new to me as I am not well-versed in their music--yet), my interpretation of the lyrics as well as any "official" interpretation, and I'll include some history behind the song if possible (if--let's be honest--Wikipedia or Google gives me something interesting to share :P ).

This is going to be really difficult, for many reasons. One is time--I have an almost-full-time job that exhausts me, and sometimes I can barely resist whining and rubbing my eyes like a small, tired child. According to this website, The Beatles made 208 songs in their career, a pretty daunting number when you're only doing one song per day. I'll try to cover a good portion, if not all, of the songs they went on to create individually as well, so that adds a lot of material (AND that's not even including the songs they made as The Quarrymen--let's not get TOO complicated here). I'll also add a special post each time I complete an album, analyzing my experience with that record's music. Another reason it'll be hard is that I may not have access to every Beatles song ever--I'm mostly limited to what I can find online or borrow from the library. There will be gaps in both the songs as well as my knowledge. I'll probably listen to a song and think it's saying one thing, when it's clearly saying something completely different. I can't avoid these problems, but I can accept they're going to arise and work around them as best I can!

Well, there's my plan, all laid out. I'm going to write the first post today, to get a taste of what I can expect in the future of this blog.

And here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment