Sunday, October 30, 2011

Dig a Pony

"Dig a Pony" was written by John (who considered it a "piece of garbage") and was the penultimate song performed during the Beatles' rooftop concert. It consists of various randomly-chosen words and phrases, like the titular "dig a pony", and was originally called "All I Want Is You". Lennon reportedly wrote it about Yoko Ono, who at the time was soon to be his wife. 

The song "begins with a false start, with Ringo Starr yelling "Hold it!" to halt the other band members because he was holding a cigarette and had only one drum stick in his hand." (This factoid makes me laugh. :P ) My first reaction to "Dig a Pony" was neutral, bordering on negative. However, as the song progressed and I read the lyrics (to figure out what John was saying), I grew more fond of it. 

The lyrics are undoubtedly weird, which is what makes them interesting and entertaining, and the music combined with the way John sings the chorus reminds me of nothing more than Joe Cocker's version of "A Little Help from My Friends". Overall, not too bad of a song, despite Lennon's animosity for it (he was admittedly and openly less than fond of many of his works, though, so it should be taken with a grain of salt). 

That's all for today! See you tomorrow. :)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 47
Songs Completed: 190

No comments:

Post a Comment