Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Polythene Pam

Today we meet "Polythene Pam", which continues the medley where "Mean Mr. Mustard" left off; both were written at the same time while Lennon and the others were in India. 

Wikipedia gives us a quote from John about the song as well as some interesting tidbits:
In 1980, John Lennon said about "Polythene Pam": "That was me, remembering a little event with a woman in Jersey, and a man who was England's answer to Allen Ginsberg...I met him when we were on tour and he took me back to his apartment and I had a girl and he had one he wanted me to meet. He said she dressed up in polythene, which she did. She didn't wear jack boots and kilts, I just sort of elaborated. Perverted sex in a polythene bag. Just looking for something to write about." The song is sung in a very strong Liverpudlian "Scouse" accent.
The lines "She's so good-looking but she looks like a man / Well you should see her in drag dressed in her polythene bag" really remind me of "Lola" by The Kinks. Overall a fun song. :)

That's all for today... see you tomorrow.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 43
Songs Completed: 183

No comments:

Post a Comment