Thursday, October 13, 2011

It's All Too Much

Today's song is a Harrison creation. "It's All Too Much" starts with a spoken dedication "to your mother" (a la Mark Wahlberg) and continues on a journey complete with guitar, trumpet, organ, and even a cowbell. 

We can almost hear the Indian influence that George was so inspired by in previous songs. The multitude of instruments, some playing just out of sync with one another, and the repetitive chanting all feel reminiscent of some of his other songs, like "Within You Without You". "It's All Too Much" is still at least an ocean away from that exact sound (missing, as it is, the unmistakable sitar), but I can't help but feel that there is a connection, and that it was intentional.

There are actually at least two versions of this song; the version I heard first was six and a half minutes long, while the unreleased (but often bootlegged) version clocks in at a lengthy 8:10. The lyrics also remind me of Harrison's Indian influence; in particular, the lines "When I look into your eyes, your love is there for me / And the more I go inside, the more there is to see" somehow put me in mind of that sort of experimental and soul-searching exploration.

That's it for now. See you tomorrow--I'll be starting Abbey Road. :)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 39
Songs Completed: 171

No comments:

Post a Comment