Sunday, August 28, 2011

Good Morning Good Morning

Today's song is "Good Morning Good Morning". Written by John Lennon, it seems to tell the story of someone wandering through his day somewhat aimlessly. It begins with what sounds like a man dying ("Nothing to do to save his life, call his wife in"), and continues from there as a relatively normal day-in-the-life. 

The animal sounds were arranged by engineer Geoff Emerick very specifically, at John's request; he wanted each animal to be something that could eat and/or frighten the animal that came before it. So, the cat comes after the bird, and the pack of dogs comes after the lion. (I believe the order goes bird, cat, dog, horse, lion, pack of dogs, and then some kind of bird, like a chicken or duck, squawking.)

This song is very interesting, partially due to the random animal noises and partially because I can't quite figure out who the narrator is supposed to be. Is he a doctor, whose day begins after a long night shift in the hospital, and who wanders through his subsequent day trying to forget the patient he lost? Or is the beginning unrelated, and does the song tell the story of a regular young man who wakes up feeling bummed (perhaps at the loss of a relative?) but is gradually cheered up enough to go see a show and hopefully flirt with some girls? I'm sure if I looked somewhere, I could find an "official" interpretation. Maybe I'll check that out at some point. For right now, I think I'll sit on the lyrics a bit longer and see if anything comes to me and says, "I'm the answer!" :)

That's all for today. See you tomorrow!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 26
Songs Completed: 125

No comments:

Post a Comment