Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I Me Mine

Today's song is "I Me Mine", a song that has the distinction of being the last new song recorded by The Beatles (until 1994--which I don't really think should count). Harrison's ode/lament to the ego has a Hindu context, consistent with his Indian inspiration and spirituality:
For example, the Bhagavad Gita 2:71-72 can be translated as "They are forever free who renounce all selfish desires and break away from the ego-cage of "I", "me" and "mine" to be united with the Lord. This is the supreme state. Attain to this, and pass from death to immortality." Perhaps subconsciously, the song also reflects Harrison's reaction to the clashes of egos in the Beatles' painful closing days as a group.
The song's musical patterns coincide with its lyrical stylings. For the verses, George sings in a high octave and the music keeps a slower, waltzing pace. Then, for the "chorus", the repetitions of "I me-me mine", the guitar comes in more heavily and the vocals are harsher and louder. This duality is a vital aspect of the idea behind the song itself--everyone has to battle their ego in some way and for some goal, whether it's for spiritual or simply self-improvement reasons. I like this song; I'm generally fond of George's compositions, and this one seems both personal and universal in a way that attracts even me, an avowed secular being. :P

That's all for today! See you tomorrow. :)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 48
Songs Completed: 192

No comments:

Post a Comment