Friday, November 4, 2011

Maggie Mae

Today we meet the dirty, no good "Maggie Mae", which was The Beatles' version of a traditional Liverpudlian (love that word) folk song about a prostitute who robs a sailor. According to Wikipedia, "it has been the informal anthem of the city of Liverpool for about 180 years."

Wikipedia also mentions that "the performance, which trails off after just 39 seconds and was obviously tongue-in-cheek, is truncated" and that it was clearly meant as merely a warm-up for the recording session. Luckily for us, it was included on Let It Be (though not its Spector-less sister, Let It Be... Naked) and we get to enjoy The Beatles singing with great accents. :P

As a traveler, I'm a huge fan of local songs, from "Rocky Road to Dublin" to Cajun music and everything in between. :) So, "Maggie Mae" really sparks my interest. It reminds me of my time in Dublin and, though I've never been to Liverpool, I imagine it's just as lovely and fascinating. :)

That's it for today... see you tomorrow!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 49
Songs Completed: 195

No comments:

Post a Comment