Sunday, November 6, 2011

One After 909

Today we hear the "One After 909". It was written as early as 1957 by Lennon with help from McCartney, and definitely sounds like one of their earlier songs. It's much more rock-and-roll, both musically and lyrically.

According to John, the number 9 held a special significance to him. 
In his 1980 Playboy interview, Lennon explained, "That was something I wrote when I was about seventeen. I lived at 9 Newcastle Road. I was born on the ninth of October, the ninth month [sic]. It's just a number that follows me around, but, numerologically, apparently I'm a number six or a three or something, but it's all part of nine."
Paul was also fond of the song, saying that although it wasn't a great song, it held many fond memories for him of writing music with John, specifically their attempts to write more "bluesy" songs. At the end of the song, we can hear John jokingly singing a couple of lines, a variation on the classic Irish song "Danny Boy": "Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling." 

As I've mentioned many times before, I'm not a huge fan of early Beatles, but this song--written by the "early" Beatles and performed by the "later" Beatles, is pretty entertaining. We get the fun lyrics and the excellent musicianship. A perfect combination.

That's all for today... see you tomorrow!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 49
Songs Completed: 197

No comments:

Post a Comment