Saturday, November 19, 2011

Old Brown Shoe

Today we hear Harrison's "Old Brown Shoe", which was the B-side to "The Ballad of John and Yoko". Wikipedia notes:
Harrison commented about this song: "I started the chord sequences on the piano, which I don't really play, and then began writing ideas for the words from various opposites... Again, it's the duality of things – yes no, up down, left right, right wrong, etc." This idea was also prevalent in their earlier single, "Hello, Goodbye".
It's a fun love song, one that makes you laugh. I particularly enjoyed the line, "I want a short-haired girl who sometimes wears it twice as long" as well as "If I grow up I'll be a singer / Wearing rings on every finger", which I took to be a humorous nod to Ringo, who was known for wearing lots of rings. 

John and Paul were great lyricists in their own ways, and had distinctive and individual styles that were hard to miss. However, when it came to writing love songs, George was the undisputed master. It's funny, how it took a long time for Harrison to even start writing lyrics that he felt comfortable enough to show to his bandmates, and he ends up writing some of the group's best songs. :)

That's it for now... See you tomorrow!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 54
Songs Completed: 210

No comments:

Post a Comment