Monday, November 21, 2011

The Fork in the Road (or, Take a Sad Song and Make It Better)

Today's song is... not a song. 

I got ready to post my 212th Beatles song today and discovered that I finally reached the final unheard Past Masters song--yesterday. Since I hadn't been paying too much attention--simply going day by day and not looking ahead--it was quite a surprise. I realized it would arrive someday (even when this blog felt like it would never go anywhere), and during the past two weeks or so I knew the end was imminent since I was getting close to the magic number (which I believed was 208, but ended up being 211). It's just one of those things you never really expect to finally see but that creep up on you unawares, much like homework deadlines or your birthday. 

Looking back, it's been an amazing journey. I've spent the better part of a year committed to this project--that's a pretty substantial chunk of time. Although I missed a day here and there, I never once skipped a song, something I'm rather proud of (if I didn't post one day, I posted twice the next to make up for it). I guess I passed my self-imposed test of commitment. :P

As far as my Heard It Tally, the final numbers were 54 (songs I'd heard previously) out of 211 (songs total), giving me a 25.6% rate. It was about 10% higher than I predicted starting out, but overall my guess wasn't too far off. Additionally, I've learned more than I ever expected, and discovered so many fantastic songs that I probably never would've heard otherwise. That to me is one of the highlights of this blog; the sheer amount of education that I gained was invaluable, even if that education came from Wikipedia. ;)

Now the time has come for me to say goodbye to The Beatles... or at least to "The Beatles". I'll be taking a short hiatus, and then I'll begin covering each Beatle's solo discography, beginning with John Lennon and finishing in the expected order with Mr. Richard Starkey.

So, until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment