Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Can't Buy Me Love

Classic song today, and definitely one I've heard before. "Can't Buy Me Love" was the only song in English that The Beatles recorded outside of the UK (they recorded most of it in Paris), and it also "became the first single the Beatles released without their characteristic background harmonies", after the guys decided they didn't need them.

Although there are many interpretations of this song, the most obvious is a clear anti-materialism message. Paul, who wrote the song, stated to American journalists in 1966: 
"I think you can put any interpretation you want on anything, but when someone suggests that 'Can't Buy Me Love' is about a prostitute, I draw the line." He went on to say: "The idea behind it was that all these material possessions are all very well, but they won't buy me what I really want."
I have to agree with him; I can't think of too many other ways the lyrics can be twisted to mean something else. It's interesting, the choice of words he uses to address the person he's speaking to in the song; instead of saying "my love" or "my dear", terms that would more strongly suggest a female listener, he says, "my friend". It's an interesting change--one that removes gender from the equation and gives the song a less specific audience. I'm guessing that's where other interpretations come in. Perhaps the singer is speaking to a female lover, or to a male lover, or even to a male (or female) friend. Granted, diamond rings are generally purchased for partners, not for friends, but the "love" in the song could just as easily be platonic as romantic. 

Ultimately, perhaps Paul changed his mind about money's inability to purchase happiness. "...He was to later comment: 'It should have been 'Can Buy Me Love' ' when reflecting on the perks that money and fame had brought him." Oh, Paul. :P

That's it for the A-side... I'll soon be watching the film A Hard Day's Night and putting up a review. Tomorrow we'll see that, as well as continue with the B-side of the album. See you then. :)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 5
Songs Completed: 44

No comments:

Post a Comment