Thursday, June 30, 2011

Album Summary: Beatles for Sale

Overall, Beatles for Sale was a fantastic album. We're finally getting into the good stuff, in my opinion; the guys are slowly moving away from the classic rock-and-roll and rockabilly songs and migrating towards their own original material. Of course we've already seen a lot of great original stuff, but this album is much more autobiographical, making it better musically, lyrically, and stylistically.

My favorite tracks were "I'm a Loser", "I'll Follow the Sun", "Mr. Moonlight", and "Eight Days a Week". These songs really stuck out to me and my personal tastes. :) I could listen to "I'll Follow the Sun" over and over--the guitar's amazing. And of course, "Eight Days a Week" will forever be a classic and never fails to remind me of how quirky Ringo was (and is).

One particular thing I like about this album that doesn't have much to do with the songs themselves is actually the photo used for the album cover. Wikipedia says, "The downbeat mood of the songs on Beatles for Sale was reflected in the album cover, which shows the unsmiling, weary-looking Beatles in an autumn scene photographed at Hyde Park, London." They do indeed look exhausted; it's as if their somber faces foreshadow the turmoil that will come in the next several years (and decades). Very good photo. :)


That's all for Beatles for Sale... it was a good one! I'll see you tomorrow as we check out a couple songs from the next album, Beatles '65. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment