Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Movie Review: A Hard Day's Night

Just finished watching A Hard Day's Night, the motion picture. It was fantastic. Most of it was downright hilarious, with John's bathtub capers, Ringo's last-minute walkabout, Paul's warning that his grandfather is an untrustworthy "mixer", and George's displacement of the fashionable "resident teenager". :P

There were plenty more great moments that I really enjoyed. I particularly liked the conversation between John and a lady who almost recognizes him, saying that he looks "just like him" but neither of them mention Lennon's name. Finally, when she decides he in fact looks nothing like him, John, offended and muttering, walks away in a huff, and pulls his cap down low over his eyes. 

My other favorite John moment was, as I mentioned above, while he was playing with a submarine in the bathtub. He disappears underwater, and when his manager pulls the plug and the water drains away, John appears to have been Raptured away. He comes in a moment later, in a bathrobe, scolding his manager for dilly-dallying. :P

I've said this before (after watching the segment of the video for "If I Fell") but my favorite quote was by George, noting Ringo's obsessiveness when it comes to his instruments: "He's very fussy about his drums, you know. They loom large in his legend." 

During the concert scene, though, with the incessant screaming and sobbing of the fans, I couldn't help but see how tired, sweaty, and almost bored the guys looked from time to time--they were acting and lip-syncing, but it must have gotten old in real life to be constantly hounded. Overall, the movie was well worth watching. It was entertaining, and it gave a somewhat fictionalized glimpse into John, Paul, George, and Ringo's lives as The Beatles. So, if I were a movie critic, I'd give it two thumbs up, five stars, A+, whatever you want to call it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment