Sunday, June 12, 2011

When I Get Home

Like "Any Time At All", today's song starts off with a bang, so it made perfect sense when I read that the guys recorded one right after the other. "When I Get Home" is a Lennon composition and a cheerful song that follows a traveling theme. Similar to a "writing a letter" theme (used often in The Beatles' music as well as by Motown artists), or a "my girl cheated and now I'm sad" theme, a "traveling" theme is another popular one that songwriters use in their lyrics.

It's a pretty romantic song. The singer has no time to chit-chat; his lady's waiting for him at home, and he's got a lot he wants to tell her. Whether he actually wants to convey his message verbally is unclear, and none of our business. One part of the song gives me the impression he's being detained by another woman: "Come on, let me through / I've got so many things I've got to do / I've got no business being here with you / This way". I'm pretty confident that he's no cheater, though, since he's in such a rush to be with his love. Besides, the lyrics right before that section, which say: "I bet I'll love her more / Till I walk out that door again" lead me to believe he travels for his job (John channeling his personal life and emotions again, no doubt).

I do have one complaint: the "whoa-ah" was really grating on my ears for some reason. It sounded like disjointed shouting or mismatched harmonies, one or the other. I enjoyed the verses, but the choruses had me turning the volume down to see if that would improve the sound. Very strange. 

Well that's all for now. I'll be back tomorrow. See you then! :)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 5
Songs Completed: 48

No comments:

Post a Comment