Friday, June 17, 2011

No Reply

Today's song is the first on the next album, Beatles for Sale. Wikipedia sums it up pretty nicely: "The album marked a minor turning point in the evolution of Lennon and McCartney as lyricists, John Lennon particularly now showing interest in composing songs of a more autobiographical nature." We'll get to see plenty evidence of that statement as we explore this album. :)

I've actually heard "No Reply" recently, on the radio. It's about a young guy who knocks on his girlfriend's door, knowing she's there and that she's been unfaithful, but she doesn't answer. You can really hear the difference with this song; it really marks a new age in the guys' lyrics as well as their music. Another Wikipedia quote describes the effect this song had on music critic Ian McDonald:
In his book, "Revolution in the Head", Ian MacDonald remarks that the middle eight ("If I were you, I'd realize that I love you more than any other guy; and I'd forgive the lies that I heard before, when you gave me no reply") was the most powerful phrase featured in any Beatles song thus far.
I agree, kinda-sorta. It's certainly a bold leap into the heart-wrenching and brutally honest, and it only gets better. :)

Well, finally my Tally is going up... by one song, but that's okay! Maybe I'll have heard tomorrow's song as well, who knows? See you then!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 6
Songs Completed: 53

No comments:

Post a Comment