Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Blackbird

"Blackbird" is one of the most famous Paul songs (along with "Yesterday"). Paul wrote and performed the song, although it's credited to John as well. McCartney said it was partially inspired by the Civil Rights struggle in the U.S. at the time (1968).
So, I was doing explanations, and I actually just remembered why I'd written Blackbird... I was in Scotland playing on my guitar, and I remembered this whole idea of "you were only waiting for this moment to arise" was about, you know, the black people's struggle in the southern states, and I was using the symbolism of a blackbird. It's not really about a blackbird whose wings are broken, you know, it's a bit more symbolic.
(Interview with KCRW's Chris Douridas, May 25, 2002)

On the surface, the song is very simple; it has repeating lyrics, features Paul on vocals, acoustic guitar, and metronome, and includes chirping birds in the background. However, the structure of the song is irregular and I'm sure if I were to try and learn the strumming pattern, my brain (and fingers) would hurt--I am just a beginner, but it still seems quite complicated to me. :P

That's it for this one... See you tomorrow.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 37
Songs Completed: 149

No comments:

Post a Comment