Friday, September 23, 2011

Rocky Raccoon

Today we meet the infamous "Rocky Raccoon", who went to avenge himself on his girl's lover, got himself shot, and found a drunk doctor and a Bible in the process. It was written by Paul, with help from John and musician Donovan, while they were in India. According to Wikipedia, "'Rocky Raccoon' was the last Beatle[s] song to feature John Lennon's harmonica playing."

I have fond memories of this song from college; my friends and I would sit around with a guitar (and sometimes, if we were lucky, even a drum set) and sing various songs, from The Beatles to Radiohead to The White Stripes. I like to think that's how the Beatles prefer many of their songs to be enjoyed--in a low-key gathering with friends. 

Something about this song really attracts me; I think it's the interesting combination of hearing a Western-style song about a love triangle coming from The Beatles. It seems like even John was surprised by the left-field "Rocky Raccoon". From Wikipedia:
In Mojo magazine in October, 2008, McCartney acknowledged that the style of the song is a pastiche, saying, "I was basically spoofing the folksinger." Lennon attributed the song to Paul, saying "Couldn't you guess? Would I have gone to all that trouble about Gideon's Bible and all that stuff?

That's all for today... See you tomorrow.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 37
Songs Completed: 151

No comments:

Post a Comment