Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Fool on the Hill

Today's song is "The Fool on the Hill". Written and sung by Paul McCartney, it was praised by John Lennon and critic Richie Unterberger of Allmusic, but was panned by music critic Tim Riley. I'm leaning more towards the former; the first time I heard this song was in my car, not too long ago, and it made an impression on me right away. 

Paul was reportedly inspired to write it about Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, who was yogi to The Beatles. Additionally, there was a strange occurrence that also inspired Paul to write the song: 
Alistair Taylor, in the book Yesterday, reports a mysterious incident involving a man who inexplicably appeared near him and McCartney during a walk on Primrose Hill and then disappeared again, soon after McCartney and Taylor had conversed about the existence of God; this allegedly prompted the writing of the song.
Like I said, I'm very fond of this one. It's a good song to listen to when you're feeling a bit down--it seems to commiserate with you. 

That's all for today! See you tomorrow.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 28
Songs Completed: 129

No comments:

Post a Comment