Thursday, May 12, 2011

All My Loving

[This is the post I wrote for Thursday May 12th. I'm finally posting it, as well as today's post--and backdating it--now that Blogger's back up. Yay!]
 
Great song today [aka yesterday]! I love the Beatles version, and I get all melt-y when I hear Jim Sturgess (oh my) singing it with his cute Liverpool accent. :) At the same time, it was kind of hard to just listen to it--I wanted to hear the song as The Beatles sang it, so I kept having to stop myself from singing along.

One interesting factoid about "All My Loving" is that it wasn't released as a single in the U.S. It actually trickled down from Canada, and finally played in the U.S. enough to hit number 45 on the Billboard Hot 100 in April of 1964. McCartney wrote and sang this one; he wrote the lyrics first and then the music, something he apparently never did. John, in the 1980 interview with Playboy I've mentioned in other posts, said he actually wished he'd written it because it was a "damn good piece of work". He comforted himself by saying he does "play a pretty mean guitar in back."

"All My Loving" has the distinction of being "the Beatles' opening number on their debut performance on The Ed Sullivan Show on 9 February 1964." You might remember that episode being of particular historical and musical importance. However, this song also has another distinction, this one much less happy:
According to Alan Weiss, a TV producer who happened to be there, "All My Loving" was playing on the sound system at Roosevelt Hospital emergency room when Lennon was pronounced dead after being shot on 8 December 1980. 

Sad, and yet kind of fitting at the same time, like a spiritual "farewell". 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 4
Songs Completed: 17

No comments:

Post a Comment