Friday, May 6, 2011

Do You Want to Know a Secret

I've actually heard this one! Yay me. My dad used to casually sing the chorus now and then (and sometimes I would get it stuck in my head) but I never knew specifically that it was a Beatles song. 

According to McCartney, the song was written to give George a chance to sing on their first record; he sang both this one and "Chains". Lennon said in 1980 "that he gave 'Do You Want to Know a Secret' to Harrison to sing because 'it only had three notes and he wasn't the best singer in the world,' but added 'he has improved a lot since then.'" A little condescending, but it's probably true. :P John, who was the principle author of the piece (though it was credited to both him and Paul), found inspiration from "I'm Wishing" in Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs which his mother Julia used to sing to him as a young lad. In the movie, Snow White, standing by a well talking to some doves (let's face it, homegirl is wack), asks them if they want to know a secret and if they'd promise not to tell (they're doves. Who're they gonna tell, the rabbits? Wack, I tell you).

Personally, I really love this song. It reminds me of my dad singing, making up funny new lyrics to well-known songs, and just generally being a big goofball throughout my childhood. Not only is it a trigger for nostalgia, but it's simply a cute, catchy song. :)

P.S. Anyone else bothered by those creepy drawings of the guys in that photo? o_O 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 1
Songs Completed: 11

No comments:

Post a Comment