Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ask Me Why

Today's song is a sweet and sugary little number, sung by our friend John and released as the B-side of "Please Please Me". I enjoyed the harmonies and the guitar riffs in this one; the opening guitar phrase was borrowed from one of Lennon's musical influences, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. The lyrics are cute--they're typical of a classic, early 60s love song.

I'm actually kind of hard-pressed for something to say about this one, not because I didn't like it, but rather because there just doesn't seem to be anything terribly remarkable about it besides its obvious suitability for playing during a wedding reception. There are more than enough phenomenal Beatles songs to make up for it, and over time I'll encounter them all. I'm sure somewhere out there is a person (or several) who would be very offended at my careless treatment of their all-time, hands-down favorite Beatles song, but I can't please everyone all the time. If you love "Ask Me Why" and think I've committed song-abuse in judging it a mediocre number, go blog about it. ;)

That's about it for this one. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's post, an excitement I experience every time I complete another song. It's only the first week but I have a feeling time is going to fly by. Hopefully I'll find new and interesting things to say about the music--I don't intend this to be one of those boring and self-centric blogs filled with misinformation and pretension. (Proof I'm not pretentious: I had to look up how to spell "pretension".)

No comments:

Post a Comment