Sunday, May 15, 2011

Til There Was You

Although I'd never heard the Beatles version of this song, I've seen The Wedding Singer, and so I've heard "Til There Was You" as sung by Ellen Albertini Dow in that movie.* This song, however, was originally written by composer, songwriter, and playwright Meredith Willson for his musical, The Music Man. Since the song came to The Beatles via artist Peggy Lee, Paul McCartney said he never knew it was from The Music Man until years later. This song has the distinction of being the only Broadway number ever recorded by The Beatles.

The guys often played it during shows early on and it showcased their versatility well--they once followed it during a live show with "Twist and Shout". It was also the second song they sang during their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show.

I'm fond of this song, even if it is a bit sappy and romantic. I rather like Paul's British "r" on the end of his "saw"; it adds a neat little quirk that stands out since I'm so used to British vocalists losing their accents when they sing. I actually enjoy hearing their accents, personally; if everyone sounds like Americans when they sing, it's boring. :P

* Note: I'm a little conflicted about adding versions other than that of the Beatles to the Heard It Tally. Does it still count? If I've heard different versions of these songs, can I still say I've heard a Beatles song? I don't think so. :/ I think I have to subtract from the tally to avoid versions and count only the songs I've heard actually sung by The Beatles themselves. The updated tally is below. It's again pathetic, but at least it's more accurate and factual. Therefore, to date, the only Beatles song (sung by The Beatles) that I've heard prior to listening for this blog is "Twist and Shout"). Although it's tempting to go back and edit my previous posts to correct them, the problem is that editing just the number is confusing, editing the posts themselves in addition is tedious, and I think this note is important. So I'll resist and leave it at that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 1
Songs Completed: 20

No comments:

Post a Comment