Thursday, May 5, 2011

Baby It's You

"Baby It's You" was a popular early 1960s song. It was written by Luthor Dixon and Burt Bacharach, and was covered by not only The Beatles, but also The Shirelles and Smith (whose version reached the song's highest point of popularity and was included in Tarantino's 2007 movie Death Proof).

What a romantic song. He loves her, defends her honor against detractors even though he knows deep down she's a big fat cheater, and declares he can't live without her. I'll admit when I heard the line, "You should hear what they say about you, 'cheat, cheat'", I was a little amused. Just the way they chanted "cheat, cheat" in the background was funny, not the poor sap singing the song. :P I did love the sha-la-la-ing, though; it reminded me of "Kiss the Girl" from The Little Mermaid

A friend gave me a pretty good idea--he suggested I should keep track of which Beatles songs I've already heard as I go. So, I'll be adding a count at the bottom of each post (the "Heard It Tally") to provide a running tally of just how many of their songs I've actually heard. It'll probably be embarrassing (I'm guessing my friend is wrong, and that my estimate of a 85% ignorance rate is not, in fact, too high) but it will be interesting to find out the real number at the end. :) I'll also take it a step further and maintain a count of how many songs I've listened to so far. 

Catch you tomorrow.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 0
Songs Completed: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment