Saturday, May 14, 2011

Little Child

Not a whole lot of information about this song. It's considered one of the guys' less impressive works--music critic Richie Unterberger allows that it "might not be a work of genius, but it's sheer rock'n'roll fun". I personally have a strange feeling about it; the beat, guitar, harmonica, singing, etc. is all fine, but the lyrics themselves are weird. Maybe it's my modern feminist view, but calling a woman "little child" is creepy on so many levels. However, it was another era, and this is a classroom, not a pulpit, so I'll leave it at that. :)

As far as the song is concerned, it wasn't my favorite. It actually might be my least favorite so far. Even "Don't Bother Me" had some spirit. This one's kind of on a lower level than I expect from my Beatles. It even involved a little thievery (it's not technically plagiarism since it was only like five words): 
McCartney describes "Little Child" as being a "work song", or an "album filler". He admits to taking the line "I'm so sad and lonely" from the song "Whistle My Love" by British balladeer and actor Elton Hayes.
Nice one. :P Well, that's it for this one. A bit lackluster, I know, but tomorrow will shape up immeasurably. :)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 4
Songs Completed: 19

No comments:

Post a Comment