Wednesday, May 25, 2011

From Me to You

Today's song, "From Me to You", is another one like yesterday's--it's the only song from its album (Twist and Shout) that I haven't already covered. Overall, I enjoyed listening to it--it's a really fun, sweet song. :) In its time, though, it was just okay-popular until Del Shannon did a cover of it, improving the popularity of the original. There's a lot of interesting stuff to read about this song on Wikipedia, so I'll pick and choose what caught my eye. 

The first thing was that Kenny Lynch, the British singer, songwriter, actor, etc., tried to help the guys write this song. However, something about their style must have put him off, because "he rushed to the front [of the tour bus] and shouted, 'Well, that's it. I am not going to write any more of that bloody rubbish with those idiots. They don't know music from their backsides. That's it! No more help from me!'" I think that's hilarious. :P John and Paul, who fully co-wrote the song, actually agreed and later called the song "rubbish"; however, "the song was regarded by the Beatles as innovative and catchy enough to be released as a single."

Another neat quote about this song comes from Paul, who said, "The thing I liked about 'From Me to You' was it had a very complete middle. It went to a surprising place. The opening chord of the middle section of that song heralded a new batch for me. That was a pivotal song. Our songwriting lifted a little with that song." Clearly Paul was pleased at least with the musical aspect of the song. Also, the first U.S. release of this song "it is still considered to be a rare record and highly sought-after by Beatles collectors." 

Well, that's it for today... I'll see you guys tomorrow!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 1
Songs Completed: 30

No comments:

Post a Comment