Saturday, July 2, 2011

I Feel Fine

Great song today--"I Feel Fine" is a very well-known Beatles song. Written by Lennon and primarily riff-driven, John actually wrote the song around the riff itself. Lennon, speaking about the origin of the song, related how it got its start. 
"I wrote 'I Feel Fine' around that riff going on in the background," he recalled. "I told them I'd write a song specially for the riff. So they said, 'Yes. You go away and do that,' knowing that we'd almost finished the album Beatles for Sale. Anyway, going into the studio one morning, I said to Ringo, 'I've written this song but it's lousy.' But we tried it, complete with riff, and it sounded like an A side, so we decided to release it just like that."
Another neat aspect of the song is the innovative use of feedback. Although artists such as The KinksThe Who had been using feedback during their live performances, "Lennon remained proud of the fact that the Beatles were the first group to actually put it on vinyl." The way they "discovered" the feedback is a pretty cool story as well; I'll let Wikipedia tell it. and
According to McCartney, "John had a semi-acoustic Gibson guitar. It had a pick-up on it so it could be amplified... We were just about to walk away to listen to a take when John leaned his guitar against the amp. I can still see him doing it... it went, 'Nnnnnnwahhhhh!" And we went, 'What's that? Voodoo!' 'No, it's feedback.' Wow, it's a great sound!' George Martin was there so we said, 'Can we have that on the record?' 'Well, I suppose we could, we could edit it on the front.' It was a found object, an accident caused by leaning the guitar against the amp."
Haha, "Voodoo!" It's stuff like that--little accidents and twists of fate--that really add to the Beatles mythos. Overall, this is a really great song. It's one of John's happier tunes, showing a contentment that we don't often see in his songs.

That's all for today... See you tomorrow!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 9
Songs Completed: 68

No comments:

Post a Comment