Sunday, July 3, 2011

You Like Me Too Much

Today we start the album Beatles VI, which has a lot of old songs but several new ones for us to hear. :) Beatles VI was the ninth Beatles album to be released in the U.S. in less than a year and a half--talk about prolific. It also contains two songs (both covers) recorded specifically for the North American market, which was a unique event in Beatles recording history. 

The first new song from the album is "You Like Me Too Much". My first impression is that the lyrics are a bit off. The song itself sounds great--the guitar is excellent (which makes perfect sense because George wrote it), and the vocals are top notch. However, the words themselves almost give me the same feeling Twilight or Beauty and the Beast do; it describes a kind of creepy, stalkerish, almost-abusive relationship. I'm sure most people don't read the song that way, and I'm sure I only do because I look for things like that, and I know the song's meant as an innocent love song about two people who make it work even though it's hard sometimes. 

But. But but but. When I hear lines like, "You've tried before to leave me / but you haven't got the nerve", "I will follow you / and bring you back where you belong" and "I wouldn't let you leave me", what comes to mind isn't a romantic and impulsive gentleman, it's a manipulative and abusive man. Similarly, most people view Edward Cullen (from the Twilight novels and films) as Bella's dark and mysterious protector. However, if you read more closely, he's quite violent and obsessive, and it's not just because he's a vampire. His treatment of Bella and her submission to his control (even when she's "doing her own thing" like visiting a friend of whom Edward disapproves--because she's still forced to sneak around behind his back to do so) might encourage girls in real life to look for partners who take absolute control over their lives from day one, thinking that's how love is supposed to be or that they can somehow "fix" the bad boys. To me, "You Like Me Too Much" echoes that dangerous sentiment.

Granted, this song is a far, far cry from Twilight. It's not nearly as bad as even the least sexist Rolling Stones song. :P This is just my impression of the lyrics. The song itself, like I mentioned above, is a great song. Without reading too deeply into it, I sincerely enjoyed it, particularly the instruments. :)

That's all for today! Hope you enjoyed the lecture. :P See you guys tomorrow!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 9
Songs Completed: 69

No comments:

Post a Comment