Friday, July 22, 2011

Nowhere Man

Today's song, "Nowhere Man", according to Wikipedia, "is among the very first Beatles' songs to be entirely unrelated to romance or love, and marks a notable instance of Lennon's philosophically-oriented songwriting." John, Paul and George sing the lyrics in three-part harmony, lending kind of a unique, echoing sound to the song.

Lennon wrote the lyrics about himself; he'd apparently been frustrated for hours, trying to write a decent song. 
Lennon told Playboy: "I'd spent five hours that morning trying to write a song that was meaningful and good, and I finally gave up and lay down. Then 'Nowhere Man' came, words and music, the whole damn thing as I lay down."
Interestingly, the melody of the song's verses resembles parts of Chopin's Mazurka No. 48 in F Major, Op. 68/3.

I like this song; I've heard it before, but years and years ago. The guys' voices are a bit haunting, and the lyrics that John wrote seem to be a self-deprecating and encouraging at the same time, as if he was trying to shake himself out of it. My favorite line is "Isn't he a bit like you and me?" 

Well, that's all for today. Hope you enjoyed the song (as well as the movie review I just posted). :) See you tomorrow!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heard It Tally: 17
Songs Completed: 88

No comments:

Post a Comment